Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Homemade Larabars

Yummy...

I have recently fallen in love with Larabars but at $1.50 a pop, they are expensive.  Good news, I have found an alternative (thank you Pinterest).  Larabars only have a few ingredients which is why they get my approval as a snack food.  This also makes them easy to make.  One of my favorite flavors so far is chocolate chip cookie dough so I made that one.  I also made a Samoa Girl Scout Bar (that I had to tweak the recipe for) and an attempt at a Thin Mint Homemade Larabar (more on that later in the post).

First off, I just had the Easter bunny come to my house so I was snacking on the unhealthy, but oh so delicious Sweet Tart Jellybeans while I was making my healthy Larabars.  (Give me a break about the jellybeans, I gave up sweets for Lent).


Next, I tried the Girl Scout Cookie Larabar recipe.  It did not have any nuts like all of the other Larabar recipes I saw, so I added a 1/2 cup of walnuts just to please my taste buds.  It would have worked without the nuts, but I just preferred them.

My mess of a kitchen midway through Larabar making.

Following the Girl Scout Cookie Larabars, I made my favorite Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Larabars.  These taste exactly like chocolate chip cookie dough.  They are delicious.  I could (and do) eat them all of the time. So good. Yum.  You must try this concoction of cashews, dates, chocolate chips, vanilla extract, walnuts, and salt.


A giant food processor is useful.

Lastly, I had an attempt at Thin Mint Larabars.  They came out chalky and unsuccessful.  I currently have a huge batch of dough sitting in my refrigerator that hopefully I can thin out and salvage.  I don't know if I butchered a recipe or just didn't like the recipe.  I will provide updates as to whether or not the salvage was successful, but for now the dough is sitting in my refrigerator.   


I have a ton of other Larabar recipes that I am really excited to try (especially because I have leftover dates in my refrigerator and I won't eat those by themselves).

No comments:

Post a Comment