Friday, May 10, 2013

Diva's Half-Marathon Recap

So I decided it is time to post this because all of the other bloggers have their race recaps up from last weekend, so I should finish mine from the 28th of April.

I ran the Diva's Half-Marathon in North Myrtle Beach.  I went up to Myrtle Beach on Saturday afternoon (the race was on Sunday).  Saturday I went to go get my packet at the expo.  The expo was mediocre.   It was well organized, but it was small.  I guess I am just spoiled by the Bridge Run expo in my hometown so other expos seem like a disappointment.  I got my packet, walked around for a few minutes, but then I left to go visit a couple of stores at the outlets and then go get some pasta.

So they had a bit of a shirt problem.  The shirts were supposed to be women's sizes, but they ended up being more like kids sizes.  I got a small because I was worried about how small the women's sizes would be, and it barely covers my belly button and it is quite tight.  Luckily, they had a system to get the shirts replaced and I should be getting mine in a few weeks.
My bib.

I woke up race morning late so we rushed to the start line (not a good way to start a race morning).  I did not have time to stretch so I felt that at mile 4.  The entire race was tight which I think was primarily because of me forgetting the night before, and then not having enough time race morning.  I learned that stretching during a race takes up a lot of valuable minutes.  No good.  I also woke up not feeling much better from the nasty cold I had been suffering all week.  I tried to keep a positive attitude on race morning, but between being late and sick, I wasn't expecting much out of the race.

Miles 1-6 were okay.  It was just running.  Nothing too exciting.  The course wasn't too exciting and I knew I had a long race ahead of me.

Miles 7-9 were where things got tough.  I really felt the effects of not properly stretching and I also had some nutrition issues.

Mile 10 was rough.  I was definitely starting to get sore.  That was not good.  I also became extremely unmotivated and was just searching for my parents just to get some sort of motivation.  I definitely started to feel the effects of being sick- I could barely breath through my nose and my energy was zapped.  I think I need to work on my nutrition strategy some too.  Any suggestions?
I don't really remember where that was, but I am pretty sure that was a fake smile.


Miles 11-13 felt sooooo long.  There was nothing I could seem to do to make them go by faster.

Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, I finished in 2:18:56.  I was disappointed in my time after spending so much time and effort to prepare for it only to be sick on race day, but at the end of the day I am still proud that I finished my second half-marathon.  I have a lot of races ahead of me.  I am super excited about Kiawah.  

Overall, I would recommend this race to someone who lives close and just wants to do a run on a flat and fast course, but there wasn't really anything too exciting.  One thing that I loved about this race was the enthusiastic spectators.  There were a lot of people with really funny signs that made me laugh even through my mile 10 crash.  One thing that I didn't like so much is that the 5K runners and walkers shared the course for part of it, and at the time I was hitting the part of the course that we shared, there were a lot of 5K walkers and half-marathon runners in a relatively small area.

I better go to sleep so I can wake up to run a 5K tomorrow.  I don't really have any expectations for it.  It is mostly just a race to gauge where my current 5K time is to set a goal for the fall, but I do love races- big and small, long and short.  They are what keeps me running- even the ones that I didn't do well in give me motivation to do better in the next race.


Race Recap Roundup on Runners Luck

6 comments:

  1. Without knowing much about your nutrition, I can't give advice... but being further from home and travelling can definitely impact it, eating different places and restaurants (never know how it will be) and of course staying in a hotel, etc. I'd definitely down a gel or something in a half though- I always do :).

    It sounds like you had a fun time at the race :). I haven't done it but I had a lot of friends who did, they all had the same tshirt issue so hopefully they get that replaced soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Madison,

    I really enjoyed your blog and I wanted to email you but didn't find a link. I started a company in 2006 called Gracie's Gear (www.graciesgearandtraining.com) where we sold sports bra's and tanks to women with a patented zipper pouch. In 2008 I was diagnosed with cervical cancer and a few months following, my daughter developed an infection in her eye.
    Long story short, I was thrilled to come across your blog. I wanted to in-turn, share something I'm doing right now.

    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/drbotts/gracie-gear-and-powerpouchtm-designed-by-and-for-w

    I'm on Kickstarter trying to kickstart my company. My fight with cancer leaded me to shut my company down. But with the help of friends, fans, and family I'm trying to make a comeback.

    I hope you enjoy our video and maybe feel compelled to share.

    Thanks Madison! Take Care,

    -Gracie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super congrats to you for finishing your second half marathon!! You rock!! AND that time is nothing to be disappointed about!! :)
    Thanks for linking up on the Race Recap Roundup! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Congratulations on finishing your Interpreting Education Program and good luck with the job-finding!

      Delete
  4. Congrats on another half marathon done! Getting the distance done is always an accomplishment regardless of time :) As far as nutrition, what types of things do you typically eat the day before and morning of a race? Also, how do you fuel during a race?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Day before varies, but it is normally cereal for breakfast, sandwich for lunch, and pasta for dinner with some snacks in between. I stick to pretty bland foods. The morning of I eat some dry cereal, fruit and a little bit of peanut butter. During the race is a mess. I have been trying to find a carb that my stomach can handle. I can tolerate applesauce, dried fruit, and some gummies, but I can't tolerate Gatorade, at least without it being diluted because it is too sweet. Gels have been suggested to me, but I have also heard things about weird consistencies which I don't know if I would be able to handle. Do you have a favorite gel or race fuel?

      Delete