I am also more of an over-preparer with the mentality better safe than sorry. I am just going to tell you what is actually in my car when I go to the race. I will spare you the details of what I bring for an away race.
1. Two Pairs of Running Shoes
I always bring an extra pair. What if the sole of one of my shoes snaps in half when I put it on?
2. My Nike+ GPS Watch
I log my training on the Nike+ website so having a way to input the info is vital. Some people swear by "running naked"- without technology, but this is the one piece I need. If I want to run by effort, I just change the settings so I only see time elapsed or the time of day, but I always want to see my results AFTER my run!
3. Running Clothes- obviously
I prefer something looser (a singlet type tank) on top and something more fitted on the bottom (I usually wear spandex shorts or capris). I got some Oiselle Rogas today and I am in love! I kind of wanted to go for a run when I got them, but I couldn't.
4. Various Food
I like bringing some food and water/ Nuun to snack on before and after the race. I usually pack an apple, some Nuun, and some pretzels or other starch.
5. Towel and Change of Clothes
I don't want to drive back in gross clothes! Enough said.
6. iPod (for longer races)
I only use my iPod on long runs and during longer races where I need some sort of distraction. I have to wear it in an armband- I CANNOT carry it. It drives me crazy.
7. Applesauce and other fuel for longer races.
8. Band-Aids in case blisters develop. (Haven't had any problems with my new shoes!)
9. Extra Hair Stuff- ponytail holders and headbands. I keep my hair simple on race day- high-ish ponytail and a hard plastic headband to keep the hair out of my face.
10. Hat and Sunglasses- I have a hat that I really like that I wear most races to keep the sun out of my face. If it is really bright outside, I tote along my sunglasses that are obviously not made for running. Any suggestions on some relatively inexpensive running sunglasses?
11. Hand Sanitizer- I am not really scared of germs, but it is nice to have after applying sunscreen and before driving back to not make your hands feel so gross.
13. Extra Safety Pins- I don't want the race to run out.
14. Chacos- Got to have something comfy to put on after the race.